Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Real People

Today I have been thinking about Disneyland (which is where I took the above picture) Why? Well ... Honestly today has been a crap day, and Disneyland is the happiest place on earth!



I work customer service, and granted with customer service you are not always going to get happy people. What I don't understand is why people think if they scream at you that you will understand or be more endeared to their plight. Personally I think people who scream or curse at you through the phone is completely unprofessional, and it is uncalled for. 9 times out of 10, the issue that the person is screaming about is NOT the fault of the person on the phone. I
also question if that person's boss knows how their employee acts on the phone.

And... why be difficult with a person who GENUINELY wants to try and help?

It isn't just the external people that have played on my stress level but some of my coworkers as well. There is this one person at my work that absolutely makes me feel like my work environment is very hostile. If I try to ask her a work question she will look the complete other way and ignore me completely. OR on my birthday a birthday card was passed around, when she found out it was MY birthday she got my card back and took white out to remove the greeting. Mind you I have never done anything to this woman. Honestly she used to be very hostile to most people at work ... now it is only me. Granted, there is not much I can do to repair something I haven't broken. But it reminds me SO much of being in high-school . I feel the sting of co-workers talking behind my back, it is painful. It makes me feel 15 all over again and being bullied by Vicki M. Every day on the bus Vicki would say hateful things either to me or about me. Even in college when I dated one of her ex boyfriends... she bad talked me to him - and she didn't even know me.
I hate that feeling of inferiority.
My ex husband and his mother did the same thing
I hate that I do not have the confidence to speak out or defend myself. Why? because I feel like it wouldn't matter anyway.
So what do I do?
I sit in silence and just do my job. Because it is work and NOT high school! I will never understand how girls and women can get into a pack mentality and actually gang up on another person. Why can women be sooooo mean?
I guess if I had the answer to this I would have a show like Dr. Phil ... or Oprah... I am sure I would have some panel of guests that either were victims ... or bullies. Or I would have a show on workplace hostility and why it could push someone over the edge ... and what employers could do to put an end to the pack.

But, I am not Oprah and I am not Dr. Phil

What I am is frustrated! It makes it so hard to go into work.

I guess it will either get better or it will get worse. For the time being ... I have to confess it makes me struggle on my diet, because I am an emotional eater. I want some type of comfort- But I also don't want the uncomfort of putting any pounds on. So.. I am plugging away.

500 calories a day...

3 comments:

  1. Hey there :)
    There is nothing worse than realizing that the cliques you thought you outgrew in highschool still exist years later. I understand where you are coming from completely ( I haven't always been a housewife ya know) and sympathize. I couldn't get over the whole birthday card thing though, how childish was she?!? You have much more grace, patience and the ability to not go slash her tires than I do. Kudos to you.
    I replied to your comment that you left me, but instead of putting it on your page I just stuck it on mine.
    Nice to "meet you" by the way :)
    Trisha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Trisha !
    Nice to meet you too. I have enjoyed catching up on your blog- I used to be a housewife and a step mom ... (long and awful story) So I totally get your posts too...
    As far as Evil Co-worker (as I will call her) the sad thing is she is in her late fifties... I just don't get it!
    Most days I sit shaking my head ...
    You really really really made me laugh by your response.. thank you so much for taking the time to read me... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl, one day we'll trade horror stories, this is my second marriage but the first one almost sent me to a convent. As far as evil co-worker goes, maybe she isn't getting enough fiber in her diet...who knows. Blow her off and go about your business because honestly she isn't worth your time or stress. Maybe she's jealous of you for some reason? You seem like you are very likeable, maybe she doesn't possess that quality. I have found that the ones that treat others like that have some reason (job performance, friends etc) to act like you killed their dog or something. If you really want to piss her off, smile at her every time you see her :)

    ReplyDelete