Thursday, July 29, 2010

Steak and Border Chimchurri

Preparing the Steak ...
I prepared eye of round and a london broil I cook for a few days at a time so this is like 6 meals
you can also use strip steak.
6 tablespoons peppercorns
Kosher salt
3 tablespoons olive oil
Start a hot fire in your grill.(I foreman grilled it)

Using a mortar and pestle or the bottom of a heavy skillet, coarsely crush the peppercorns.

Season each side of the steaks with salt, then spread the crushed peppercorns on a plate and push both sides of the steaks onto the pepper to coat.

Cook the steaks over a medium-hot fire for about 4 minutes per side for medium rare.
Steaks should develop a nice crusty exterior.
If you are using a thick-cut steak or want to cook the steaks to medium or above, finish cooking them over the grill’s indirect heat. Let meat rest 5 minutes, then place a large spoonful of chimichurri over each steak before serving.

Border Chimchurri
2 large shallots, finely diced

½ cup flat-leaf parsley, medium chop
¼ cup cilantro, medium chop
2 green onions, minced
1 serrano pepper, stemmed and seeded, minced (i used jalapeno because serrano's are sooo hot)
1 teaspoon granulated sugar (i used stevia)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
½ cup red wine vinegar
½ cup olive oil
Combine all ingredients in a small mixing bowl and store in the refrigerator for about 1 hour before you are ready to serve to give flavors time to come together.





served with cauliflower


the finished product... so yum :)

2 comments:

  1. Great Recipe and photos Sharr! Are you on Protocol now?
    I'm starting a "Team SummaTime Challenge" for friends and family if you want to join~
    You can follow along on my blog:
    http://rainey-fitby50.blogspot.com/2010/07/team-summatime-join-us.html

    Or my Facebook Group:
    Search: Team SummaTime

    Take Care there
    ~Rainey~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heya Rainey -
    yep I am on protocol .. :) thanks for the compliment ... I found this recipe and KNEW I had to hav- i mean try it ;)
    it was worth every little bite too. I made enough of the chimchurri to put on chicken too :)
    it was very tasty.
    I am finding fuller flavored foods make me feel much more satisfied .
    I joined fb and I am working on loading your blog now too :)

    ReplyDelete